Sunday, October 29, 2006

Why I Love the Comics

I remember in Journalism school many moons ago, a perfesser telling us that statistics show that people who are more educated and more intelligent tend to read the comics, the sports page and the op-ed page religiously. Gee, I guess that means all that money on college wasn't wasted.

Today's (Sunday 10/29/06) Sunday comics have been infiltrated by political commentary. Not the usual lefty loonies like Trudeau's Doonesbury or the Berkley Breathed strip Opus, but strips like Hi & Lois and Foxtrot.

Hi and Lois is like the 'Father Knows Best' of comics. It's been around forever, has quaint little funny family tales, but occasionally has something that causes you to think. Today's Hi & Lois comic has the twins fighting over halloween costumes, until the mother tells them to pick "polar opposites." The kids comply: in the final panel they appear as democrats and republicans. What's interesting is the republican is dressed as a businessman, the democrat as a 60's hippie. How perceptive!

Today's Foxtrot comic, by Bill Amend, speaks to the scariness of electronic voting machines, but more importantly: how most people don't care about this 'politics' stuff.



Right on target.

3 comments:

  1. I read the comics every day, and do the crossword if I get a chance.

    The rest of the paper is fluff in my town. They say that laughter is an important destresser that helps rid your body of toxins, so the comics are good for health while the rest of it is a detriment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an obsessive crossword puzzler. I'm hoping it'll keep me from getting alzheimers :)

    I wouldn't exactly use the word 'fluff' for the Columbus Dogpatch. More like fishwrap or TP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't even get me started on staying away from Alzheimer's, that's a whole crossword puzzle in itself lol

    ReplyDelete

I'll be happy to post your comment if it meets my criteria. Note: my criteria may change. At any time.